Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: Dead Men's Boots

Review: Dead Men's Boots


Dead Men's Boots

Posted:

Dead Men's Boots (Mass Market Paperback)
By Mike Carey

I got very lucky a few years ago and stumbled upon "The Devil You Know" while shopping on Amazon. I ordered the book and found it to be a wonderful read exploring the trials and tribulations of Felix "Fix" Castor, a professional exorcist in a world that is a darker shade of our own. Felix practices his profession in a modern day London, but one that contains were-beasts, ghosts, demons, and zombies. Most of London toils on though paying little attention to these revenants, unless, of course, a ghost comes to haunt the place you call home or work. Whereupon Felix or one his competitors may get a call. If you haven't read "The Devil You Know" or the sequel "Vicious Circle" do yourself a favor a get yourself a copy of these books. They are simply delightful. I liked them so much I couldn't wait for Dead Man's Boots to be released here in the States and ordered it as an import.

Carey writes novels that feature complex characters, detailed and exciting plots, and some of the smoothest writing it has ever been my pleasure to read. The only disappointment in reading Carey is that even though the book may run over 500 pages, the next day you'll be blinking at the last page and wondering "how do I get more?"

I'm not generally into fiction that has magic, demons, ghosts, etc. mostly finding the genre formulaic and unimaginative. Carey blew a great big gaping hole into my assumptions and prejudices, happily showing me that this genre can be done superby well. I am a complete convert, in least as regards to his works. His books are atmospheric, even noirish, and he tells fascinating, compelling stories that sweep you breathlessly from plot twist to plot twist, tales that always end on a surprising and satisfying note.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
//PART 2