Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: The First Prophet

Review: The First Prophet


The First Prophet

Posted:

The First Prophet (A BISHOP FILES NOVEL) (Kindle Edition)
By Kay Hooper

I am a huge fan of the Bishop SCU series and even enjoyed Haven. I kept reading this book in the hope that it would get better. It didn't.
My first issue is that the characters weren't particularly likeable, as others have mentioned. Then there was the fact that the story jumped around to so many places and people that it was frustrating. There were a lot of conversations that referred to "they", but one could not easily track which "they" was being referenced. I'm fine with books where several threads of the story slowly come together. I was not at all satisfied that they ever did so in this book. I felt it was unfinished. In spite of the Bishop books being a series, each one does wrap up its own plotline fairly well. I also like that in the other books there is eventually an explanation of the psychic phenomena and especially of psychic abilities that were used against the protagonists. There were several "abilities" that were new in this book. There were also definitely psychics on the "bad guys" side. For the most part, very little indication is given of what they are doing and which experiences of the "good guys" are the result of psychic "attack". I was left uncertain what was going on in the paranormal area.
I also was perplexed and disappointed by Bishop in this storyline. He isn't directly involved as he is in the SCU and Haven cases. But, he is clearly aware of this struggle, conspiracy or whatever it is. In so many other books, Bishop reaches out, often not openly, to gifted new psychics in trouble. Yet, here he remains way out of the picture despite the danger to innocents, even deaths. This makes no sense to me in his role as either FBI supervisor or an expert psychic handler.
...


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
//PART 2